Tuesday, August 4, 2009

For Hire: 35 y.o. Male, colorblind with emotional problems

I quit my job two summers ago. It was approaching 6 figures with benefits, the culmination of years of hard work with this particular job in mind. I had a goal and a plan and I executed everything well enough to attain the goal. Then I spent five years living the dream completely miserable, stressed out and mentally unhealthy. So I went back to the university I had wandered away from as a freshmen, and they accepted me back with very little fuss. A re-enrollment fee of $100, and I was the instant thirty-something freshmen. Meanwhile, my wife of 10 years returned to the workplace after her hiatus having the kids and changing diapers. She had always been interested in the movie business and now she produces feature length films. Inside of two years, she has established hundreds of industry contacts, worked for world class production companies, and rubbed elbows with household names. She loves what she does.

It took me 15 years before I landed my dream job, and I ended up hating it. I was going for the money, the golden parachute my fore-bearers had sown the seeds for. Bad news: I should have done the thing I aspired to when I was 14, not the financial security I thought I wanted when I was 18. 3 semesters to go, then I will likely pursue a graduate degree. But the gravy train runs out with my undergrad work, so I will need to go back to work. Here is the interesting catch, while enrolled as a full-time student the family health insurance costs me roughly $10,000 LESS than direct purchase. So that is ten grand less that I have to go out and earn. Staying in school actually pays for itself. Regardless, I still need to make $300 a day to pay the bills. So how do I watch movies, write, and live like a rock star without obtaining another boss (very likely a total prick)? Welcome to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment